SPECIALIZED LIQUEFIED GAS TANKER SAFETY COURSE (GASCO)
This course provides training for masters, chief engineers, chief officers, 2nd engineers and any person with immediate responsibility for the loading, discharging and care in transit or handling of gas cargoes.
It comprises a specialized training programme appropriate to their duties, including gas tanker safety, fire safety measures and systems, pollution prevention, operational practice and obligations under applicable laws and regulations.
The course takes full account of Section A-V/1, Table A-V/1-2-2 of the STCW Code adopted by the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers 1978, as amended in 2010
- Development of liquefied gas shipping
- Properties and characteristics of liquefied gases and their vapours
- Basic thermodynamic theory; Properties of single liquids; Nature and properties of solutions
- Health hazards
- International and national codes and regulations; Gas Carrier codes; Certification and surveys
- Ship Design and Cargo Containment:
- Construction and equipment requirement; Ship arrangement; Cargo containment; Ship types and survival capability
- Cargo- handling Systems:
- Instrumentation and auxiliary systems
- Tank atmosphere evaluation;
- Fire prevention and equipment; Pollution prevention;
- Protection and safety equipment
- Cargo Handling operations
- Ship/Shore Interface
- Emergency operations
Assessment and Certification
At the end of the course the trainee will required to demonstrate competence, a document may be issued certifying that the holder has met the standard of competence specified in Table A-VI/1-2 of STCW 1995. The evaluation shall also have a component of objective type paper to assess the understanding of the candidate.
E-Learning and Exit Examination
Please note that all exit exams are now conducted online the DGS website and can only be attempted once the candidates have complete the requisite e-learning hours on the DGS website.
Candidates are allowed a total of three attempts only. If you do not pass on the third attempt, that particular course has to be repeated after paying the full course fees again.
Note: As per DGS instructions it is mandatory to attempt the exit exams from the institute.