PERSONAL SURVIVAL TECHNIQUES (PST)
This course forms part of the mandatory basic safety training for all seafarers.
The purpose of this course is to provide the essential knowledge and experience of personal survival principles to maximise the chances of survival in the event of an emergency, including practical training in the use of life jackets and inflatable life rafts.
Also, Seafarers who hold an existing Personal Survival Techniques (PST) certificate are required to complete this updating training course to maintain proficiency under the STCW 2010 Manila Amendments (STCW Section A-VI/1 and table A-VI/1-1).
The course consists of lectures, films and demonstrations, including a practical session in the diving pool at Aquatech Institute of Maritime StudiesThe course will include:
Types of emergency situations such as collision, fire, sinking
- Types of life-saving appliances normally carried on ships
- Equipment in survival craft
- Location of personal life-saving appliances
- Principles concerning survival at sea
The practical instruction will include:
- Donning a life jacket
- Donning and use of an immersion suit
- Safely jumping from a height into the water
- Righting an inverted life raft while wearing a life jacket
- Swimming while wearing a life jacket and keeping afloat
- Boarding a life raft from the ship or the water while wearing a life jacket
- Taking initial actions on boarding a life raft to enhance the chance of survival
- Streaming a drogue or sea anchor
- Bringing aboard an injured person
- A Group survival exercise
- The correct use of an inflatable life raft
- Capsizing drills
- How to safely abandon ship
- How to swim while wearing a life jacket
- Other types of lifesaving appliances
Candidates will get wet and are asked to pay attention to the list of kit to bring along which is provided in the joining instructions.
The learner should be physically fit and not suffer from any medical conditions (This course can be strenuous)
Please note this is quite a physically demanding course, therefore, any medical condition you have must be brought to our attention prior to booking.
Assessment and Certification
On completion of the course you will receive the Personal Survival Techniques STCW A-VI/1-1 certificate.
E-Learning and Exit Examination
Please note that all exit exams are now conducted online the DGS website and can only be attempted once the candidates have complete the requisite e-learning hours on the DGS website.
Candidates are allowed a total of three attempts only. If you do not pass on the third attempt, that particular course has to be repeated after paying the full course fees again.
Note: As per DGS instructions it is mandatory to attempt the exit exams from the institute.