High Voltage Safety & Switch Gear Course – Management Level
The course will provide training is the safe operation and management of high voltage systems onboard and their associated switch gear on ships powered by main propulsion machinery above 750 kW and having onboard, electrical installations of above 1000 volts.
The trainee shall be able to understand the HV/LV power systems including statutory regulations, hazards associated with high voltage systems, be able to safely operate and maintain such systems. The trainee shall also be able to perform HV switching operations on a wide range of marine and offshore power equipment, as well as carry out isolation, fault diagnosis and troubleshooting
HIGH VOLTAGE COURSES – USP
State of the art facility for practical training consisting of a HIGH VOLTAGE LAB with the following:
- High voltage insulation resistance tester
- High voltage transformers – power supply – 6600V (Live)
- 6.6 kV bus bar
- Vacuum Circuit Breaker with associated relay systems
- Panels with instrumentation – PT & CT systems
- Interface for operation of switchgear
- Indication lamps and meters
- Main earthing equipment
- Vacuum electromagnetic contactor for HV system
- Portable earthing cable and grounding assembly
- Insulated hand tool kit
- Insulation testing on electrical motors
- HV to LV step up and step-down transformers
- Facility to carry out PI test (Polarization index test)
- Variable Frequency Drives – induction motors up to 10 kW
- High Voltage electrical cables with
- PPE: High voltage boots, HV arc protection suit with hood and face shield, UV filter goggles, Class 2 rubber gloves
- Safety briefing and objectives of the course
- High voltage technology and application on board ships,
- concepts and terminology.
- Electrical hazards associated with High voltage systems and their precautions.
- Safety regulations regarding work on high voltage installations.
- Work Permits and procedures for preventing accidents while carrying out maintenance and repairs
- Operation and safety features of High Voltage switchgear and the use of HV PPE.
- Regulations governing high Voltage installations in marine/ offshore.
- Electrical Stresses and Break down strength and ageing of High voltage electrical insulation structure
- Types of High Voltage distribution systems.
- Issue and control of safety documentation
- Practical: Prepare switching plan, Limitation of access, Permit to work, Sanction for test & logbook
- Safety lockout procedures, key safes/ Multi Hasp locking devices and isolation procedure
- Practical: Risk Assessment and Isolation and earthing diagram)
- Treatment of system neutral point
- Electrical propulsion systems
- Construction and Operation of High Voltage Systems – High Voltage motors, Cyclo-converters, Frequency control and controlling of motors/ propulsion drives, Transformers & other equipment.
- Practical: Demonstration of variable frequency drive operation and show its components
- Power Management System, instrumentation and High Voltage
- measuring and testing equipment.
- Polarization Index and IR Test Procedure for High Voltage equipment.
- Practical: IR test on HV Cable, PI and DA test demonstration.
- Maintenance and fault Identification in High Voltage system and procedure switching and isolation procedure
- Practical: Demonstrate operation of VCB, Isolation, draw out, vacuum checking, gap gauging, Demonstrate vacuum contractor.
- Emergency Procedures and Case Studies
- Demonstration of High Voltage systems and procedure.
- Practical: At High voltage facility: Effect of shapes of electrode on voltage breakdown, surface current and creepage distance, measurement of voltage and current by CT and PT. Or Demonstrate disconnection of VCB from live bus bar, safety precautions and application of CME.
Marine Engineering officer holding as minimum:
• A MEO Class IV (FG/NCV) Certificate of Competency and has completed a minimum of 12 month sea going service as a certificated Engineer officer of watch
• A MEO Class I/II ( FG/ NCV) Certificate of Competency
• A Dredge Grade I/II Certificate of Competency
2. Electro- technical officers holding as a minimum,
• A Certificate of Competency as “ Electro- Technical Officer” issued by the Govt. of India;
• A certificate of course completion, having successfully completed an approved ETO Pre- Sea Training Course and has completed approved seagoing service to be eligible for appearing for ETO Certificate Of Competency examination;
• A record of sea going service of not less than 12 month in the capacity of ETO/Electrical officer/ trainee E/O to be eligible for appearing ETO Certification of Competency Examination
Assessment and Certification
On successful completion of the course and assessments, a Certificate approved from DG Shipping (India) may be issued certifying that the holder has successfully completed a HIGH VOLTAGE SAFETY AND SWITCH GEAR COURSE AT MANAGEMENT LEVEL of training
E-Learning and Exit Examination
Please note that all exit exams are now conducted online the DGS website and can only be attempted once the candidates have complete the requisite e-learning hours on the DGS website.
Candidates are allowed a total of three attempts only. If you do not pass on the third attempt, that particular course has to be repeated after paying the full course fees again.
Note: As per DGS instructions it is mandatory to attempt the exit exams from the institute.
High Voltage Safety & Switch Gear Course – Management Level (HVSSGC – MGT)
Note: A candidate who does not have HVSSGC (Operation) certificate is only eligible to do the Management level course after first completing the Operation level course. This will be a total of 06 days and for Rs. 20,000