Duration: 12 Days (Package of 4 courses)
Course Fee: INR 18,500 (Package of 4 courses)
Intake Capacity: 20 Candidates
This course forms part of the mandatory basic safety training for all seafarers.
The training is designed to provide a basic knowledge of the immediate action to be taken upon encountering the most common emergencies aboard ship. These include checking for vital signs, bleeding, broken bones, shock, burns and scalds.
Treatments taught include CPR, hypothermia, bandaging methods and when and how to move a casualty.
Using a combination of theory and practical sessions, the STCW Elementary First Aid course teaches candidates how to take immediate action upon encountering an accident or other medical emergency. Areas covered include:
- Knowledge, understanding and proficiency in basic first aid
- Assessing the needs of the casualty and your own safety
- Appreciation of body structure and functions
- Understanding the immediate measures to be taken in case of an emergency
- Positioning a casualty – applying resuscitation techniques – controlling bleeding – basic shock management
- Understanding hypothermia and subsequent treatment
- Applying appropriate measures in the event of burns and scalds
- The rescue and transport of a casualty
- Improvising bandages and using your emergency kit
Assessment and Certification
The Elementary First Aid STCW A-VI/1-2.1.3 certificate is awarded at the end of the course on the basis of continuous assessment.